What is Homeschooling?

Getting Started

File your Affidavit

County School Superintendent Offices 

Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA)



What is homeschooling?

In Arizona, homeschooling is defined as "a nonpublic school conducted primarily by the parent, guardian or other person who has custody of the child or nonpublic instruction provided in the child's home." according to A.R.S. §15-802

There are 5 required subjects which are: Reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies and science. A.R.S. §15-802

How do I start homeschooling?

To start homeschooling, you must file an affidavit with the county you reside in for children between the ages of 6 and 16. If your child is 6 and you wish to delay formal education until age 8, you may choose that option on the affidavit.  You have 30 days to file this affidavit after withdrawing from school, or after your child's 6th birthday if they have never attended school.  


A.R.S. §15-802 

“Section 2. If the child will attend a private school or home school, file an affidavit of intent with the county school superintendent stating that the child is attending a regularly organized private school or is being provided with instruction in a home school.

The affidavit of intent shall include: 

       (a) The child's name.
       (b) The child's date of birth.

       (c) The current address of the school the child is attending.

       (d) The names, telephone numbers and addresses of the persons who currently have custody of the child. 


Please also refer to A.R.S. §15-828 for proof of birth requirements: 

“Section B. If a child is instructed at home pursuant to section 15-802, the person who has custody of the child shall, within thirty days after the home instruction begins, provide to the county school superintendent of the county in which the child resides one of the following: 
1. A certified copy of the child's birth certificate (The original, state sealed birth certificate). 
2. Other reliable proof of the child's identity and age, including the child's baptismal certificate, an application for a social security number or original school registration records AND an affidavit explaining the inability to provide a copy of the birth certificate. 

Where do I file my affidavit?

You file your affidavit with your County School Superintendent's office. Below is a listing of Arizona county offices. If you live in Maricopa County, please stop by and visit us.

Find a printable copy of the affidavit here. 


Maricopa County
4041 N. Central Ave., Ste. 1200
Phoenix, AZ  85012


Come Visit Us!

We are less than two miles from the Maricopa office.

Where can I find a list of county offices?


Apache County Superintendent of Schools
75 North 1st West
St. Johns, AZ 85936

(928) 337-7539

Cochise County Superintendent of Schools

100 Clawson Ave., 3rd Floor

Bisbee, AZ 85603

Ph: 520-432-8950

Coconino County Superintendent of Schools

2384 N Steves Boulevard
Flagstaff, AZ  86004

Ph: 928-679-8070

Gila County Superintendent of Schools

1400 E. Ash St.
Globe, AZ 85501 
Tel. (928) 402 8784

Graham County Superintendent of Schools

921 Thatcher Boulevard, 2nd Floor
Safford, AZ 85546

Phone: 928-428-2880

Greenlee County Superintendent of Schools

253 5th St
Clifton, AZ 85533
Phone: (928) 865-2072

La Paz County Superintendent of Schools

1112 S Joshua Avenue, Suite 205
Parker, AZ 85344

Phone: 928-669-6183

Maricopa County Superintendent of Schools

4041 N. Central Ave., Ste. 1200

Phoenix, AZ  85012

Phone: 602-506-3866

Mohave County Superintendent of Schools

700 W. Beale Street

Kingman AZ 86401

Phone: 928-753-0747

Navajo County Superintendent of Schools

100 East Code Talkers Drive
South Highway 77
Holbrook, AZ 86025

Phone: (928) 524-4204

Navajo County Superintendent of Schools, Show Low Office
550 N. 9th Place
Show Low, AZ  85901

Phone: (928) 532-6005


Pima County Superintendent of Schools

200 N. Stone Ave.

Tucson AZ, 85701

Phone: (520) 724-8451

Pinal County Superintendent of Schools

75 N. Bailey 
Florence, Arizona 85132 
Phone: (520) 866-6565

Santa Cruz County Superintendent of Schools

2150 N. Congress Drive

Nogales, AZ 85621

Phone: 520-375-7800

Yavapai County Superintendent of Schools

2970 Centerpointe East Dr

Prescott, AZ 86301

(928) 771-3544


Yuma County Superintendent of Schools

210 South First Avenue

Yuma, Arizona 85364

Phone: (928) 373-1006

Schooling with an Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA)

Current AZ law allows families who choose ESA to educate their children at home, however, they are considered an ESA contract student and therefore do not fall under the homeschool laws. If you have an ESA for your child, you are NOT required to file an affidavit.


If you have any questions about home education, curriculum, testing, etc. please come visit us! We are happy to help you in anyway we can. 


1117 East Devonshire Ave.

Phoenix, AZ  85014